Re: Avoiding any locks in SQL Servers - read and understand....its magic.

From: Andrey <adm_at_mlm.ru>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:41:43 +0300

"VC" <boston103_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:357Rb.151112$I06.1524522_at_attbi_s01...
> Hello Andrey,
>
> "Andrey" <adm_at_mlm.ru> wrote in message news:bv2mv3$qs3$1_at_gavrilo.mtu.ru...
> manner.
> >
> > Dear VC! Though Oracle release slogan "Oracle is database for internet",
> > real nature of internet-transactions are short-and-fast, and not
> > long-and-concurrent. So, serialization in "internet database" can not
harm
> > more that Perl script, most execution time of which consists of files
> locks
> > releases wait.
>
> Could you please re-phrase the above ? I cannot somehow see what you are
> trying to say here.
> Thanks.

Surely.
Perl is not database language and not database. But it used for programming, for example, page hits counter. This task is related more to database programming than just scripting. In page counter samples (they are ample in internet), you can find part of code which contains dead (in bad cases) or time-based loops when process tries to lock counter.txt file for write. This behaviour, it is easy to guess, can strain Perl-based server, to lesser or greater extent, but it works. You can argue with Perl people that "Oracle better than Perl" and that "with Oracle marvellous locking mechanism all Perls problems will be solved", but I positive that you will not.

That is because everybody understand that very little time is requered to write several bytes to text file. And nobody recommends for such a simple task Oracle, because it will be overkill. More to that, Oracle in this case will serialize writes like Perl script, because all updates are targeted to the same row in table.

Simple databases such as mentioned earlier can serialize even reads, without any inconveniences as long as this reads are very fast (simple database performs faster and consume far less memory than any version of Oracle). There will be no harm.

PS - I read original message and thread, so I wrote my opus only to defend small Internet-servers-targed databases from scepticism, though I do not use no one of this type. Received on Mon Jan 26 2004 - 06:41:43 CST