Re: Stop Oracle Service:

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:41:42 GMT

'bonehead wrote:

> I am an Oracle brand-spankin-newbie using 9i Personal on a Win2K
> workstation.
>
> My CS instructor states that it is important to turn off the Oracle
> database service when quitting SQL+. However, he was not familiar with
> 9i so he could not show me how to do this. Presently I am just going to
> the Task Manager and ending the oracle.exe process there (I am also
> stopping the Oracle Apache server.)

Ask your instructor why it is important to turn off the service. Other than making sure the database is not available and not using CPU, I can think of no legitimate reason for this comment.

Apparently your instructor is also not familiar with Oracle8i. Same method is used.

Apparently your instructor is also not familiar with Windows 2000. If it's a service, you would expect to see, and control, the service in the Control Panel's 'Service' applet.

I hope you are not paying your instructor.

> 1. Is it correct that I should stop the database service when exiting
> SQL+? Why/Why Not? It seems like a reasonable thing to do, if only
> because of the system resources it consumes.

To stop the service means that the service is no longer available. If it is truly your intention to make the service unavaliable, then go ahead.

But look at the services applet and make sure all the other related services are also down. (Find out from your instructor what related services there might be).

> 2. If this is correct, am I doing it the right way? If not, what should
> I do instead?

Start > Control Panel > Administration > Services

Now, ask the instructor how to START the database after is has been shut down. Let us know the answer - there are several of us interested in the quality of instruction being passed off these days. Received on Sun Jan 25 2004 - 17:41:42 CST