Re: Stop Oracle Service:

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:14:11 GMT

"'bonehead" <senmenospam_at_here.org> wrote in message news:40144CFF.2030500_at_here.org...
> I am an Oracle brand-spankin-newbie using 9i Personal on a Win2K
> workstation.
>
> My CS instructor states that it is important to turn off the Oracle
> database service when quitting SQL+. However, he was not familiar with
> 9i so he could not show me how to do this. Presently I am just going to
> the Task Manager and ending the oracle.exe process there (I am also
> stopping the Oracle Apache server.)
>
> 1. Is it correct that I should stop the database service when exiting
> SQL+? Why/Why Not? It seems like a reasonable thing to do, if only
> because of the system resources it consumes.
>
> 2. If this is correct, am I doing it the right way? If not, what should
> I do instead?

If you turn off the db service then the database is no longer running so how would others access the database! If you kill the process then you are doing a shutdown abort, not a good idea. If your CS instructor doesn't know how to turn off the service then perhaps you should get another instructor.

Doesn't anyone read manuals anymore?
Jim Received on Sun Jan 25 2004 - 17:14:11 CST