Re: Self-Study CDs

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:59:08 -0800

curious wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1074992203.468284_at_yasure>...
>

>>curious wrote:
>>
>>>Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1074955742.654297_at_yasure>...
>>><snip for brevity>

>>>As a beginner's book for syntax, would "Guide to Oracle9i by Joline
>>>Morrison, Mike Morrison ISBN: 0-619-15959-6 © 2003 Publish date: March
>>>14, 2003" at www.course.com work?
>>>
>>>In fact, I have used "A Guide to Oracle 8" (0-619-00027-9) by the
>>>same authors from the same publisher and learned up to Chapter 4B back
>>>in the year 2000 (I haven't touched this book since then and was busy
>>>with courses to graduate), where Chapter 4 is Introduction to PL/SQL,
>>>Triggers, and Procedures Builder with
>>> 4A covers Variables and Data Types;
>>> 4B is "Using SQL Commands in PL/SQL Programs".
>>> 4C is "Procedures and Functions in PL/SQL"
>>>
>>>I compared the Chapter Titles of 9i book (www.course.com) and 8 (I
>>>have) and noticed that the title were eaxctly the same up to Chapter
>>>3. In the new book, chapter 4 is simply "Intro to Pl/SQL". The rest
>>>of chapter titles differs completely.
>>>
>>>Is Oracle 8 and 9i so different that I should just get the new book
>>>and throw away the old one? I do like the style of this book. The
>>>style is good for self teaching.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>
>>For the basics no. For anything above the basic level yes. The
>>differences are important.
>

>  By "For the Basics no.", did you imply that this "A Guide to Oracle
> 8" is suitable for me to study Pl/SQL? Here are chapter titles for
> Chapter 5-10 for the book I have.
>   Chapter 5: CREATING ORACLE DATA BLOCK FORMS
>           6: CREATING CUSTOM FORMS TO SUPPORT BUSINESS APPLICATION
>           7: USING REPORT BUILDER
>           8: USING GRAPHIC BUILDER
>           9: CREATING AN INTEGRATE DATABASE APPLICATION
>          10: CREATING WEB APPLICATION USING THE ORACLE APPLICATION
> SERVER
>
> On a second look, the titles in the new book (9i) seem to reflect the
> same topic except the additional topics which i am not concerned about
> right now). The new book (9i) has -
>   5. Introduction to Forms Builder
>   6. Creating Custom Forms
>   7. Creating Database Reports
>   8. Creating an Integrated Database Application
>   9. Advanced SQL and PL/SQL Topics
>   10. Advanced Forms Builder Topics
>   11. Introduction to Oracle9i Database Administration
>
> Sorry for asking you in detail.  I am from Chemistry background and
> got into Computer field because of the explosion of WWW. At first, I
> thought of doing Web Developing but now, I have decided in get some
> real Database skills (and also Networking skills too after enjoying
> TCP/IP course tremendously).
>
>  I am also aware of an area that bridges between IT and Chemistry.
> It's like a liason between the two industry. Database skill definitely
> is pertinent.
>

>>For example, in v8 the first thing people thought about for a lot of
>>stored procedures was a cursor loop. With 9i if they are your first
>>thought on you rmind you aren't with the program.
>

>  I have yet to understand the above explanation especially wrt 9i.
>
> Thanks.

By basics what I mean is if you want to learn how to create or drop tables, views, sequences, indexes, constraints, procedures, functions, packages, and triggers yes.

If you want to learn more such as index index organized tables, order by in views, compressed indexes, bulk binding and FORALL in procedures, DDL and system triggers no.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)