Re: Self-Study CDs

From: curious <heyimjustcurious_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2004 11:22:01 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1074992203.468284_at_yasure>...
> curious wrote:
> > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1074955742.654297_at_yasure>...
> > <snip for brevity>
> >
> >>Based on your background the only thing you are going to learn is
> >>syntax. And syntax is the least important and challenging part of
> >>learning PL/SQL. As one PSOUG member said: "Syntax is boring."
> >>
> >><snip>
> >

> >>But what you have really learned? They all do the exact same thing. Do
> >>you know which one to use? Do you know why? Do you know how to debug
> >>them if you have a syntax error? Do you know how to test them in an
> >>application to determine which part is slow or using the most resources?
> >>No. And the CD won't help with that either.
> >>
> >>I'd suggest a "beginners" book for syntax, then I'd suggest Tom Kyte's
> >>Effective Oracle by Design first and Expert one-on-one Oracle second,
> >>followed by a lot of time at http://tahiti.oracle.com. It will save you
> >>money and you will learn much more. Not as much as at a good college or
> >>university program but far more than with any CD set.
> >

> > As a beginner's book for syntax, would "Guide to Oracle9i by Joline
> > Morrison, Mike Morrison ISBN: 0-619-15959-6 © 2003 Publish date: March
> > 14, 2003" at www.course.com work?
> >
> > In fact, I have used "A Guide to Oracle 8" (0-619-00027-9) by the
> > same authors from the same publisher and learned up to Chapter 4B back
> > in the year 2000 (I haven't touched this book since then and was busy
> > with courses to graduate), where Chapter 4 is Introduction to PL/SQL,
> > Triggers, and Procedures Builder with
> > 4A covers Variables and Data Types;
> > 4B is "Using SQL Commands in PL/SQL Programs".
> > 4C is "Procedures and Functions in PL/SQL"
> >
> > I compared the Chapter Titles of 9i book (www.course.com) and 8 (I
> > have) and noticed that the title were eaxctly the same up to Chapter
> > 3. In the new book, chapter 4 is simply "Intro to Pl/SQL". The rest
> > of chapter titles differs completely.
> >
> > Is Oracle 8 and 9i so different that I should just get the new book
> > and throw away the old one? I do like the style of this book. The
> > style is good for self teaching.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> For the basics no. For anything above the basic level yes. The
> differences are important.

 By "For the Basics no.", did you imply that this "A Guide to Oracle 8" is suitable for me to study Pl/SQL? Here are chapter titles for Chapter 5-10 for the book I have.

  Chapter 5: CREATING ORACLE DATA BLOCK FORMS
          6: CREATING CUSTOM FORMS TO SUPPORT BUSINESS APPLICATION
          7: USING REPORT BUILDER
          8: USING GRAPHIC BUILDER
          9: CREATING AN INTEGRATE DATABASE APPLICATION
         10: CREATING WEB APPLICATION USING THE ORACLE APPLICATION
SERVER On a second look, the titles in the new book (9i) seem to reflect the same topic except the additional topics which i am not concerned about right now). The new book (9i) has -
  5. Introduction to Forms Builder
  6. Creating Custom Forms
  7. Creating Database Reports
  8. Creating an Integrated Database Application
  9. Advanced SQL and PL/SQL Topics
  1. Advanced Forms Builder Topics
  2. Introduction to Oracle9i Database Administration

Sorry for asking you in detail. I am from Chemistry background and got into Computer field because of the explosion of WWW. At first, I thought of doing Web Developing but now, I have decided in get some real Database skills (and also Networking skills too after enjoying TCP/IP course tremendously).

 I am also aware of an area that bridges between IT and Chemistry. It's like a liason between the two industry. Database skill definitely is pertinent.

> For example, in v8 the first thing people thought about for a lot of
> stored procedures was a cursor loop. With 9i if they are your first
> thought on you rmind you aren't with the program.

 I have yet to understand the above explanation especially wrt 9i.

Thanks. Received on Sun Jan 25 2004 - 13:22:01 CST