Re: oracle database for academic

From: curious <heyimjustcurious_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2004 13:44:44 -0800

Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<4011FC2F.57F583C8_at_yahoo.net>...
> curious wrote:
> >
> > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1074812946.976948_at_yasure>...

> > > Based on my understanding from Oracle the license supports students to
> > > learn the software.
> >
> > Dose student mean someone who is taking classes at a college or
> > university only or any one who want to learn but not a part of any
> > company or working for any company and need to use the software for
> > the company work? I am taking aLinux lass at community college
> > though.
>
> If you look at my replies closely, you may notice the words 'free',
> 'download', 'http://otn.oracle.com' and so on and I suspect that the
> "developer's license" will fulfill your purpose nicely.

Yes, I ntoiced 'FREE' but I still wondered what "student" means as far as officially a student a college or someone who is learning like a student would learn a subject.

> All I suggest is that you read the license instead of simply clicking on
> 'I accept'. It's really not that long or that complicated. (And it
> states your community college class can not use the developer's license
> as part of it's curriculum if they charge you money; the way I read it,
> it does NOT stop you from using the developer's license to 'learn how to
> develop' on your own.)

The class I am taking is linux class. I am taking at an extension center, not on campus. Too far to go but I doubt that I wil get to use Orcale if they have it installed on campus computers.

> > > It does not allow companies to use it, for profit,
> > > to teach those students: There is a difference.
> > >
> > > If you use their software to make money ... Oracle expects a piece of
> > > the action. Seems like a very reasonable approach.
> >
> > Which ng should I remove and which one should I use to avoid
> > crossposting in this thread?
>
> Pick one. It's just not necessary to post in both as pretty well the
> same set of people monitor and answer in all of the cdo heirarchy.
>
> (But realize that roughly around 1997, the community voted to stop using
> comp.database.oracle and therefore it is not supported by some ISPs.)
>
> /Hans

That explains why I did not see as much traffic at comp.database.oracle.

Thanks. Received on Sat Jan 24 2004 - 15:44:44 CST