Re: Self-Study CDs

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:24:56 -0000

damorgan_at_x.washington.edu says...

> I'd suggest a "beginners" book for syntax, then I'd suggest Tom Kyte's
> Effective Oracle by Design first and Expert one-on-one Oracle second,
> followed by a lot of time at http://tahiti.oracle.com. It will save you
> money and you will learn much more. Not as much as at a good college or
> university program but far more than with any CD set.

Hi Daniel,

I have recently started lurking around these groups because I plan to make a career shift from programmer to Oracle DBA.

I have recently downloaded the server from Oracle (no mean feat with a modem, I can tell you - I had to get a friend from a university to download it for me), and I have purchased

Effective Oracle by Design (Kyte)
Oracle Essentials (Greenwald, Stackowiak & Stern) Learning Oracle PL/SQL (Pribyl with Feuerstein) and for reference
Oracle SQL (Kreines).

I have been a programmer for several years (mostly Delphi and some C++ Builder), working against various databases (Informix, Oracle, MS SQL Server and Interbase) and have a good grasp of DDL, DML and SQL.

Are there any books that you would think that I really should get, and are there any on my list above that are no good?

TIA. Paul...

--
plinehan  y_a_h_o_o  and d_o_t  com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com