Re: oracle database for academic

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 05:04:24 GMT

curious wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1074812946.976948_at_yasure>...
> > Hans Forbrich wrote:
> >
> > > I have noticed that a number of individuals assume that the "developer's
> > > license" or the "CD Pack" for a trial can be used freely in an academic
> > > environment. While I can't comment on how 'legal' this is, I do note
> > > that it's a common practise by students to get the software under either
> > > developer or trial license.
> > >
> > > /Hans
> > > BTW: cross-posting to multiple newsgroups in the comp.database.oracle.*
> > > heirarchy is not necessary, nor appreciated.
> >
> > Based on my understanding from Oracle the license supports students to
> > learn the software.
>
> Dose student mean someone who is taking classes at a college or
> university only or any one who want to learn but not a part of any
> company or working for any company and need to use the software for
> the company work? I am taking aLinux lass at community college
> though.

If you look at my replies closely, you may notice the words 'free', 'download', 'http://otn.oracle.com' and so on and I suspect that the "developer's license" will fulfill your purpose nicely.

All I suggest is that you read the license instead of simply clicking on 'I accept'. It's really not that long or that complicated. (And it states your community college class can not use the developer's license as part of it's curriculum if they charge you money; the way I read it, it does NOT stop you from using the developer's license to 'learn how to develop' on your own.)

> > It does not allow companies to use it, for profit,
> > to teach those students: There is a difference.
> >
> > If you use their software to make money ... Oracle expects a piece of
> > the action. Seems like a very reasonable approach.
>
> Which ng should I remove and which one should I use to avoid
> crossposting in this thread?

Pick one. It's just not necessary to post in both as pretty well the same set of people monitor and answer in all of the cdo heirarchy.

(But realize that roughly around 1997, the community voted to stop using comp.database.oracle and therefore it is not supported by some ISPs.)

/Hans Received on Fri Jan 23 2004 - 23:04:24 CST