Re: oracle database for academic

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:04:53 GMT

curious wrote:

> ffunus_at_yahoo.com (f) wrote in message news:<8f4ce98a.0401131051.625e01e1_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Can anyone tell me the price of Oracle database for academic?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > ff
>
> I would like to know as well.

(The answer really hasn't changed from that posted in the archives (see http://groups.google.com for archives, if necessary).)

Oracle seems to separate the software from the 'right to use'. Software is available on CD usually as part of a 'CD pack', or by download. The technology software is generally free for the asking. However, Oracle expects reimbursement for media as well as shipping & handling if you want physical media. The 'right to use' is the 'license' and that can cost - either in money or in restrictions.

ALL Oracle's baseline technology can be downloaded FREE of charge from http://otn.oracle.com. You can avoid the download by purchasing a Tech Track (from the same location). Either of these is subject to a "developer's license" that you ack. before you download or order.

You can also get a TRIAL license from the http://oraclestore.oracle.com and (from the same place) you can order a CD Pack to provide the software for the trial. Trials tend to be limited in lifetime.

I personally have not seen anything called an 'academic license' (and appreciate corrections if such an animal is available). However, if you buy licenses from a sales rep rather than online, licenses prices tend to be negotiable.

I have noticed that a number of individuals assume that the "developer's license" or the "CD Pack" for a trial can be used freely in an academic environment. While I can't comment on how 'legal' this is, I do note that it's a common practise by students to get the software under either developer or trial license.

/Hans
BTW: cross-posting to multiple newsgroups in the comp.database.oracle.* heirarchy is not necessary, nor appreciated. Received on Thu Jan 22 2004 - 13:04:53 CST