Re: Self-Study CDs

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:00:32 -0800

angryman wrote:

> Thanks Daniel. In answer to your Q's:
>
> 1. About Oracle? Very little. I found some tutorials on SQL on the web and
> the database concept seems fairly straightforward, but there was nothing
> about the interface which (so I hear) is where the difficulty lies.
>
> 2. I am an engineer so I have some C++, Fortran, Pascal, VB and so on. I
> have briefly used an Access database, but never had the need to create one.
>
> 3. No. But I guess that's what I'm here for.
>
> 4. I am getting sick of asking other people to run queries on our database
> for me and want to be able to do that myself. I am the sort of person who
> not only wants to know how to use it, but also to know how it works, so a CD
> course that I can go through quickly at night would be ideal.
>
> In essence, I am a complete newbie and I want to get to a expert level ASAP.
> I'm quite happy to put in the effort required.
>
> If anyone has any recommended texts/media for this sort of steep learning
> curve I'd love to hear about them.
>
> Cheers.

Based on your responses I think you would get far more value from some of the excellent books on the market as well as availing yourself of the free resouces such as:

http://tahiti.oracle.com
http://asktom.oracle.com
and check out the links page at http://www.psoug.org for many more.

I am working on a list of book recommendations that will be posted on the PSOUG web site soon. (no doubt I'll hurt someone's feelings so if anyone has any books they would like me to review please email me off-line ... Thanks).

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu