2 recovery questions

From: Paul Murphy <pmurphy3_at_twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:45:44 GMT

I've been reading about backup and recovery, but there are 2 questions that I haven't seen covered, but I'd like to know the answer to. If anyone would point me in the right direction on these, I'd appreciate it.

  1. In Oracle 8i, do you really need periodic cold backups if you're running in archivelog mode or can you just use the hot backups of the data files, plus the archive logs from the time of the backup forward and the current control file and online redo logs to perform a recovery?
  2. From what I understand, if any copy of the control file is not available, the database will crash and you have to shutdown, replace the file with a good copy or remove reference to it from the init.ora and restart. Assuming this is true, I decide to only multiplex the online redo logs and archive redo logs on a remote server (because they can withstand a failure as long as one copy is available) and just multiplex the control file on multiple disks on the main server. I'm doing hot backups every night at 9PM, they finish at 11PM. The main server has a complete failure at 10AM the following morning. I restore the data files, control file, pre 9PM archive logs and init.ora from last night's tapes. I move the post 9PM archive logs and the online redo logs back from the remote server. The timestamps on the data files and control file are no later than11PM yesterday. Can I roll forward to point of failure (10AM the following day) with the post 9PM archive logs and use the undamaged version of the online redo logs copied from the remote server even though my control file's last timestamp was 11 PM?

Thanks for clearing this up for me and anyone else who didn't know these answers.
Paul Murphy Received on Sat Jan 17 2004 - 10:45:44 CST