What happen to a view if a base table is updated?

From: Tom <tom77_at_ifrance.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2004 16:22:44 -0800

Hi,
I am beginning to learn Oracle.
I don't understand how views work.

Suppose I have a table emp(emp_no, emp_name), in witch I have: emp_no emp_name

122		Andy
521		Tom

If I do that:
CREATE VIEW view_1 AS SELECT emp_no, emp_name FROM emp;

I can do that:
select * from view_1; I get of course;
emp_no emp_name

122		Andy
521		Tom

But if some tuples in the table 'emp' are updated (suppose the emp_no has changed), what will happen with my request: select * from view_1; Will I get the same results or changes in view_1 are automatic? Shall I drop view_1 then create it again to get changes?

regards,
Tom. Received on Fri Jan 16 2004 - 18:22:44 CST