Re: Oracle Forms vs Visual Studio .Net

From: Andrew Carruthers <andrewcarruthers_at_cri-uk.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:55:55 -0000

John,

Lots of companies use .NET and Oracle back ends with great success, however, you should be aware of the tighter integration that Java gives you with Oracle, there's an inbuilt JVM and the ability to store Java components within the database and call them from PL/SQL (and vice versa).

If you're looking at a new architecture you should consider the overall infrastructure and current mix of technologies rather than introduce a new one unless you can justify the decision as being a long term investment with a clear path to migrate existing tools.

Personally, I would steer clear of Oracle Forms, most of my clients predominantly use Java or .NET technologies.

It comes down to what you already have, ongoing support, maintenance, skills and migration path

"John Smith" <someone_at_microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bu8h2a$76i$1_at_mawar.singnet.com.sg...
> I need to make decision on which development tool to use: Oracle Forms or
> Visual Studio .Net. I am new to Oracle and hope those who have gone the
> decision path could advise the pros and cons. We have Oracle 8 database in
> AIX unix box (plan to upgrade to 9i in future), MS SQL Server and MS IIS.
We
> do not run any Java web server or have any java programs. Mostly VB and
ASP