Oracle Sequences

From: Jawahar Rajan <jrajan_at_nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:28:27 GMT

All,
I am using Oracle sequences to generate the values for my ID Columns in most of the tables in my schema. The ID column itself is a Primary Key. IS this a good Idea?

Due to the nature of our work skipping sequences is not a good practice. Sometimes however when a rollback is issued the generated sequences number is lost.
Is there a way to prevent this . For example if I were to insert the ID using a trigger before insert, and a rollback occurred will I lose the number?
Is there a better way to prevent skipping sequences?

Many thanks
Jawahar Received on Fri Jan 16 2004 - 04:28:27 CST