Re: Pros/Cons of ADO client-side cursors, Oracle 8i

From: Keith Jamieson <keith_jamieson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:45:35 -0000

I would tend to agree with Jim. Keep the Server Side cursors. I have investigated performance issues with respect to server side cursors in the past, and the main performance bottleneck appears to be at the client side. The performance varies with respect to the number of rows retrieved to the client and available memory of the client. My investigations found that performance was substantially increased until about 100 rows were retrieved, but after that performance degraded.

The environment was VB with Microsoft Driver for Oracle (ADO).

You really need to set up your own test to verify what is optimal for your situation