Re: Crystal Reports 8.5 with Oracle 9i

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:20:23 -0800

Adam Brasic wrote:

> Is anyone out there running/maintaing Crystal Reports 8.5 reports off
> of stored procedures that are hitting an Oracle 9i DB? I have been
> told that this combination just isn't going to work, but want to make
> sure that that is the case prior to giving up on it.
>
> Specific setup:
> Designer: Crystal Reports 8.5
> Web manager: Crystal Enterprise 8.5
> Database: Oracle 9i
>
> In particular, I get a consistent "Invalid string or buffer length"
> error message every time that I try to tie a stored procedure to a
> report. I have been told that the drivers associated with Crystal
> (and it appears the Microsoft and Oracle drivers that come with
> Crystal) will not support this operation. Would using the latest
> Oracle ODBC driver fix this problem? Any other suggestions? Thanks
> for your time-

It works perfectly. Whoever told you otherwise is clueless. I'd suggest ignoring them in the future at least with respect to Crystal and Oracle.

You should not be using ODBC for anything between Oracle and Crystal other than the native connectivity through SQL*Net that is present in 8.5.

Also be sure you understand, from reading the help files at Crystal how it interacts with Oracle stored procedures. To return data sets you MUST use REF CURSORS and they MUST be IN OUT: Not just OUT.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu