Re: Xvfb X-server emulator and Oracle 11i reports server

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:52:53 +0100

Matt wrote:
> We are running Oracle Financials 11i on Solaris8, the machine in question in
> a SunFire F12K domain and has no directly attached console.
>
> The reports server for Oracle 11i requires an Xserver to write to for the
> production of bitmap reports.
>
> We have installed Xvfb which emulates an Xserver on machines without a
> directly attached console.
>
> I can get a simple X application like xclock to start against the pseudo
> Xserver but when the Oracle 11i ar60runb job is run to produce bitmap
> reports it returns a REP-3000 error
>
> I have experimented with starting Xvfb with different screen size options
> but this either results in a core dump or the REP-3000 error
>
> Oracle support are not too helpful regarding this error, their documentation
> says that if xlock will start then all should be okay.
>
> There are lots of references to this on the internet but, as yet, I can't
> find one which solves my problem.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be preventing the Oracle
> reporting program from being able to utilise the pseudo Xserver?
>
> Thanks

I might have one, Matt:

besides the x-server, you also need a window manager.

Poor old twm will do, if you tell him (in system.twmrc, I believe) to position the windows automatically, otherwise your report server will hang on the second request.

Oracle must have taken it for granted that an X server comes with a window manager.

Proof of the pudding: try xlsfonts without window manager. It's the fonts that Oracle Reports needs.

Gerard Received on Sun Jan 11 2004 - 18:52:53 CST