Re: Connect php to oracle

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 00:08:48 +0000

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:28:03 +0100, Tore Skogly <tore.skogly_at_no.spam.invalid> wrote:

>Andy Hassall wrote:
>
>> On Windows you don't actually need ORACLE_HOME set; you can get away with
>> just
>> having PATH set, since Oracle can get the rest out of the registry. Might
>> be an idea to just simplify things down to just PATH and making completely
>> sure the permissions are right (Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and
>> Read for IUSR_<computer name>).
>
>Thanks for your assistance, but unfortunately I didn't manage to get
>connected using the oci8 library.
>After hours of trying and failing on all your advices I gave up the entire
>OCI connection and figured I'd try ODBC.
>I wish I had come up with that idea earlier - it works perfectly!
>I guess the performance is not as good as with oci8, but it is is sufficient
>for my php pages.

 OK, but I'm still sure it's something very simple wrong with your config; I've set up PHP with Oracle support several times on Windows (although most of those were with Apache rather than IIS) and on Linux, and it's worked without any bother. The OCI connection is better in many ways (performance, data type handling, etc.) than the ODBC connection, since the ODBC connection goes through more layers.

--
Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> / Space: disk usage analysis tool
<http://www.andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space>