Re: Connect php to oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:00:46 -0800

Tore Skogly wrote:

> Andy Hassall wrote:
>

>> On Windows you don't actually need ORACLE_HOME set; you can get away with
>> just
>>having PATH set, since Oracle can get the rest out of the registry. Might
>>be an idea to just simplify things down to just PATH and making completely
>>sure the permissions are right (Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and
>>Read for IUSR_<computer name>).
>>

> Thanks for your assistance, but unfortunately I didn't manage to get
> connected using the oci8 library.
> After hours of trying and failing on all your advices I gave up the entire
> OCI connection and figured I'd try ODBC.
> I wish I had come up with that idea earlier - it works perfectly!
> I guess the performance is not as good as with oci8, but it is is sufficient
> for my php pages.

There's a lot more wrong with ODBC than just performance. If you have any security concerns I'd invest the time to get a non-ODBC connection working. I'd suggest getting what you need at http://www.phpbuilder.com.

There is also a book that goes through it rather well which is: PHP Bible:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764549553/103-1677871-0150201?v=glance

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu