Re: table join problem

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbrich_at_spam.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:46:30 GMT

Perica Milosevic wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have master-detail relationship between two tables, for example:
> Company (companyid, companyname), Worker(companyid, workerid,
> workername, workerage) where the 'companyid' field is connection
> between this two tables.
>
> I want to select ALL workers from all companies that employ workers
> older than 60 (workerage > 60).
>
> For example:
> COMPANY
> companyid 1, companyname ORACLE
> companyid 2, companyname SUN
> companyid 3, companyname IBM
>
> WORKER
> companyid 1, workerid 1, workername 'John', workerage 32
> companyid 1, workerid 2, workername 'Smith', workerage 61
> companyid 2, workerid 1, workername 'Peter', workerage 27
> companyid 2, workerid 2, workername 'Jenet', workerage 33
> companyid 2, workerid 3, workername 'Michael', workerage 38
> companyid 3, workerid 1, workername 'Sarah', workerage 41
> companyid 3, workerid 2, workername 'Nick', workerage 63
>
> I would like to get:
> 1, 1, 'John', 32
> 1, 2, 'Smith', 61
> 3, 1, 'Sarah', 41
> 3, 2, 'Nick', 63
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Perica Milosevic

Please share with us what you have attempted so far, so we can provide specific comments. Operating System and Database version would be nice, as there are minor differences that may be relevant.

The solution is to join (using one of the join techniques), then project the right columns. Your example should not require any aggregates.

HTH
/Hans Received on Fri Jan 09 2004 - 10:46:30 CST