Re: SQL SErver and ORacle on the same lap top

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:01:40 -0800

Jawahar Rajan wrote:

> All,
> Iam developing a project and trying both ORacle and SQL Server 2000 as a
> backend database.
> As I develop I need access to both and am considering installing both SQL
> 2000 and Oracle 9i v2 on the same laptop.
> Will this present any problems having both on the same machine?
>
> Any suggestions are welcome could I partition the disk and seprate the two .
>
> Thanks
> Jawahar

There are no problems with doing what you propose assuming the laptop either has lots of RAM or you only run one at a time.

A bigger problem however is my concern that you may try coding the same architecture on both and doing so will be a disaster. The underlying concepts and architecture are completely different and trying the same thing in both databases will make one of the products, depending on whose architecture you try to code, look like a disaster when, in fact, the disaster will be of your own making.

Quick question ... do you understand the differences between the way log files work in the two products? How about transaction handling? How about multiversion concurrency? How about locking and the use of temp tables.

My guess is that all you will learn is that the product you know best is better. And that will have nothing to do with the product itself.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu