Test data link in PL/SQL

From: Scott Hamlin <srxyz2003_at_go.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:24:48 -0500

I need to test if a remote system is accessible via a data link. Is there a way in PL/SQL to test if a data link is working? We have this code in place, which we copied from previous Google posts:

select sysdate into vTest from dual_at_devl.world;

But this does not seem to work - the procedure returns a more generic error message instead of the specific 'server down' message we would like. (The error is that the package is invalid, even though the package is valid when I view it in DBA Studio.)

We are currently using Oracle 9i.

Thank you for you help,
Scott Received on Thu Jan 08 2004 - 07:24:48 CST