Re: Effective deadlock handling

From: Saeed <sr_ng_at_goawaynms-sys-lts.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 10:25:46 +0000

In message <1073168436.842183_at_yasure>, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes
>But I am still hesitant about your statement:
>"If this was just a single UPDATE transaction, there would be no
>problem, but there are 2 UPDATEs, and other sessions may require the 2
>UPDATEs to operate on rows in reverse order to some other sessions, the
>chances of deadlock occurring are very real."
>
>Have you tried the following UPDATE syntax to see if you can perform
>the update in a single statement?
>
>UPDATE (<SELECT Statement>)
>SET ....;

No I haven't tried that, more out laziness than anything else. If I get time (system testing is starting this week) I'll give it a go and post an update here to let you know the results.

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786 Received on Sun Jan 04 2004 - 04:25:46 CST