Re: (Cross-posting vs Spam) Re: TAF without RAC or OPS

From: Edward J. Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:31:56 -0500

Chris ( Val ) wrote:

> "Galen Boyer" <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message
> | On Sat, 03 Jan 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
> |
> | > Sorry Galen but you are wrong. Just look at the Newsgroups in
> | > the header of your newsreader. What the OP did is banned by
> | > both usenet etiquette and the FAQ.
> |
> | When is cross posting banned? Spamming is banned. If I have a
> | SQLServer/Oracle question both a SQLServer and Oracle newsgroup
> | are valid cross-posts. What the OP did wasn't a judicious use of
> | cross-posting but is not banned. Its just something you get all
> | up in arms about.
>
> IMHO, 'Crossposting' has been recommended over 'Multiposting'
> in every group that I know of, and frankly, I am surprised at
> all the negativity about it.
>
> Cheers.
> Chris Val

It's because a lot of effort went into creating these groups. It's important to stay on topic (Otherwise how do you justify the hierarchy of newgroups? and how do you keep questions about politics or space aliens out of c.d.o.misc?)

Folks, if you haven't read posting guidelines, try looking in news.announce.newusers
about how to post (nad how not to post). One of the recommendations is to browse a group before posting, read the group's FAQ which may indicate more detailed guidelines, and follow the culture of the group.

FYI the faqs are at
http://www.faqs.org/faqs

Groups are structured like they are for a reason, namely that topical information is grouped together and non-topical information is not included. FAQs have been written and maintained to reduce repetitive articles, that why they are called FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and why they include the ANSWERS.

So while you and Galen are correct in the very general newsgroups sense, you are wrong for these specific groups.

And for new posters, please try to read the FAQ. We don't want you to go away, but we do get tired of answering the same questions over and over.

Have a nice day.

    Ed

--
Edward J. Prochak   --- Magic Interface, Ltd.
Ofc: 440-498-3700   --- 7295 Popham Place, Solon, OH 44139