Re: Effective deadlock handling

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 00:15:52 -0800

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>

>>I'm surprised you are getting deadlocks at all as they are
>>extremely rare in Oracle and it strikes me that you are trying
>>to solve a problem that doesn't exist because of a lack of
>>understanding how Oracle works.

> If you read his post, Saeed correctly identified that deadlocks
> are application bugs. They happen in Oracle, but Oracle will say
> the same thing. The bug lies with the application. Saeed was
> asking for an analysis of his logic.

I think, perhaps I am wrong, that you are jumping to conclusions. I think he is expecting SELECT FOR UPDATE to block a read based on his experience with another product.

If the problem is with the front-end then nothing you can do in the database is going to fix the problem. I just still have doubts about this being the source of what he concludes indicates a deadlock.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu