Re: (Cross-posting vs Spam) Re: TAF without RAC or OPS

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 07:26:50 +0100

On 2 Jan 2004 20:31:07 -0600, Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Jan 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>
>> However my understanding is that you anger just about everyone
>> when you post the exact same message to multiple usenet
>> groups. Please don't do that again. Lets try to ignore the
>> postings to c.d.o. and c.d.o.misc and just respond in
>> c.d.o.server where the message belongs.
>
>I'd like to interject. Daniel, crossposting is fine, as long as
>the multiple groups are relevant. It isn't clear that, for this
>thread, all the groups are relevant but the OP did not "post the
>exact same message to multiple usenet groups". He crossposted.
>Posting the exact same message to multiple usenet groups is
>spamming. That is, no matter what the intentions, frowned upon.
>Crossposting is a way to include more than one group in the
>conversation. This can be quite powerful sometimes, but in this
>particular case, the OP seemingly wasn't trying to be judicious.

I don't agree with you. You will have to distinguish between crossand  multiposting. Crossposted messages will have the same messageid, multiposted messages don't. Crossposted messages will be detected by many newsreaders, multiposted won't. Hence in the latter case, it is possible not to see someone already posted a valid responses. In BOTH cases in cdo cross- and multiposting - won't get you a bigger audience
- won't get you any better responses.

Please stop to promote cross and multiposting.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA