Re: Book Review: "SQL Tuning" by Dan Tow

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 06:47:28 -0800

hrishy wrote:

> Hi
>
> well Dan Tow is incidentaly the author of Oracle Performance tuning
> Guide..you can visit his webpage at www.singingsql.com. He is quite
> gfood not only with oracle but other databases too..Well carry millsap
> one of the other respected authors mentions dan as the person who had
> scribbled the thing "reduce your consistent gets and watch the sql fly
> by.."The book on sql tuning is the only ine you should be looking
> for..if you are looking for sql tuning..The beauty of this book is it
> expalins db2 sybase and sql server too..which is rare :-)
>
> regards
> Hrishy

If this gets any more toady please move the thread to c.d.o.marketplace.

I'm not arguing that the book isn't valuable. But this verbiage has clearly crossed the line into sales promotion and that has no place in a book review or in these usenet groups.

BTW: A review isn't just about pointing out the strengths it is also about pointing out the weaknesses. Try some objectivity and help your group readers by identifying some of them.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu