Re: Ordering operands of a WHERE clause

From: Ubiquitous <weberm_at_polaris.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:41:18 -0600

In article <1072808726.672965_at_yasure>, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>Ubiquitous wrote:

>> I have this SELECT statement in a cursor that's giving me performance
>> problems and am wondering if reordering the conditions in the WHERE
>> clause would make a difference in performance. Does it help if one
>> lists the most restrictive conditions first?

>Is there some reason you didn't post your version and edition?
>The query?

My query was more of an afterthought to my solution. The query was written for ORACLE 8 and involved a join with two tables and a very complex view. I wound up solving the problem by rewriting the query without the view (the view was used to populate one of the tables in the original query and thus wasn't necessary), but I vaguely recalled once seeing a change in performance when I changed the order of the condtions in a WHERE clause and wondered if this indeed was the case or just my imagination.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.