Re: Display only part of resultset (ORA 8.1.7)

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:46:02 +0100

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, fbortel_at_nescape.net wrote:
>

>>Don't use the view! Use the underlying query instead;
>>it'll give Oracle the opportunity to use a better plan.
>>
>>Rule # 7: do not use views in joins (modified)

> Care to explain?

A view itself has an underlying query. I have seen too much code, based on joins of views leading to, eerrr, sub-optimal performance.

Rule #7 of some Basic Performance Tips document stated not to code joins over views, but use the underlying statement, or create a new view.
The modification is mine: there's no join here.

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
Frank van Bortel