Re: Connecting Excel to Oracle.

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 24 Dec 2003 00:36:13 -0800

"Prince Of Thieves" <thief_NOSPAM_at_hotmail.com> wrote

> Is it possible to connect to a remote Oracle database (V8.1.6) using Excel?

Yes. BTDT. (been there done that)

> I want to use the DAO method to connect to Oracle on workstations that do
> not have the oracle files loaded on them, but can not find a way 2 do it.

That's because you need a driver that is capable of a) talking Net8 to Oracle and b) provide an ODBC/DAO interface to the application.

The usual method is to install Net8 on the client to provide Oracle connectivity. However, there are other options. Some ISVs sell a custom built single unified driver that is capable of doing both - i.e. it has embedded Net8 support, thus no need to have Net8 installed.

You can however expect to pay a lot for such a driver.

There are other options though. Think web services. Think XML. It all depends on the requirements and how much you are prepared to invest in other solutions.

Just don't mention "deployment issues" as that is bs reason for not wanting to use Oracle client software.

--
Billy