Re: Getting started

From: Peter Sutcliffe <peter_sutcliffe_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:54:11 -0000

"Turkbear" <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com> wrote in message news:ts9euvsc7fsntfu0e4bnk1j2p6s1kdcdrn_at_4ax.com...
> "Peter Sutcliffe" <peter_sutcliffe_at_nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >I have installed oracle 9i Enterprise option and Oracle DS 10g on a
> >standalone PC running under XP. This is an evaluation exercise at
present.
> >I want to start by looking at Oracle designer but when I select this
option
> >it asks for username/password/connect string.
> >So what I think I need to do is to
> >a) set up new users and groups using an initial username and password but
> >I'm not sure what these are and what menu item I should be using
> >b) Probably set up a repository for this design information but I'm not
sure
> >where I should do this
> >I would appreciate any help that is forthcoming
> >Regards
> >Peter
> >

> What you need to do first is read the docs..It will tell you about the
initial 'default' users and passwords..
> Did you create a database instance?
>
> Oracle is not a 'learn by doing' system..You need to read the Concepts and
Administration docs at a minimum..

I take your point but there is so much documentation most of which is not relevant at the moment and I don't find it easy to find the information I need. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack and I'm just asking if someone can lend me a magnet. The concepts and adminstration cover a greater scope and depth of knowledge than I need and I was hoping that there was a more focussed way for me to understand what to do. Received on Mon Dec 22 2003 - 11:54:11 CST