Re: BAMIMA:Bam Buffer

From: Ray Teale <ray_at_BLAHholly.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:56:47 +1100

I'm not sure I buy that static sql can always be used instead of dyanmic sql as some people have suggested.

Dynamic sql which builds up "WHERE" clauses based on input values is very useful, particularly when building APIs. The alternative will be to nvl something to itself - ala "Where x = nvl(:inputval,x)" which seems pretty dodgy. Of course the developers can use the USING clause to put bind variables into the dynamic sql.

On another note - I'm surprised that Oracle doesn't age out statements in the shared pool rather than failing with this fragmentation error. It has been suggested that the 8.1.7.4 patch contains a number of memory management improvements - so I will start by applying this.

Finally - I've managed to get the developers to revist their code.

Thanks again for all your input

Ray

"Andy Spaven" <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk> wrote in message news:HvFEb.63$M4.46_at_newsr2.u-net.net...
> Jim wrote: -
>
> "It is actually easier to use bind variables"
>
> I wish this were always true! but not it isn't always and not due to
Oracle