Primary Key vs Unique

From: Jawahar Rajan <jrajan_at_cts-du.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:21:40 GMT

All,
I have a table with 5 columns the first two are a primary key combined. for example
Table Test1
columns Col1, col2, col3,col4,col5
the primary key is on col1 and col2 as combined because col1 is repeated. For reasons beyond my control I am not allowed to seprate the col1 data to another table.
But as I am using a combined Primary key can I Reference either colum as a Foregin key in another table?

Any reasons why not?
What if I make the columns unique and have a seprate ID column would I them be able to reference them as foregin key in another table\?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Jawahar Received on Sat Dec 20 2003 - 21:21:40 CST