Re: BAMIMA:Bam Buffer

From: Andy Spaven <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:49:15 -0000

Rau

I've seen exactly the same issues. In addition to upgrading as Norman suggests you could try setting the init.ora parameter CURSOR_SHARING=FORCE. Take a look at issues (in metalink) first though in case you're going to hit one of the few gotchas left in 8.1.7.4 - there are loads of problems with this setting in 8.1.7.0 to .3 so don't use it till you've upgraded unless you're either a) very brave b) very foolish or c) very desperate.

As for why it happens - I think the SQL is aged out but the "holes" left by these statements are scattered throughout the SGA and are of different sizes (due to the usually different length of SQL strings when constructing SQL with literals in the predicates) and so you end up with a highly fragmented SGA where there is lots of free space but it's all in pieces to small to fit the statement you want into. Someone on the list might correct me here if I'm wrong.

Andy