Re: NEWBIE: converting MSSQL to oracle

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:00:39 -0500

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:27:37 GMT, "VC" <boston103_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Why not just use a reference cursor ??? Seems much simpler ...

Or you could do that. Sure. And it probably is a much simpler solution. I mentioned table functions because they don't seem to be so well known, and they can work anywhere you can plug in a SELECT. Way back in the distant past I did some Powerbuilder development, and Powerbuilder, at least back then, didn't understand refcursors. Or if it did, no one I worked with knew how to make it understand. We could put only SELECT statements behind datawindows, so table functions would have been helpful to us, whereas refcursors were not useful to us in that environment.

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one article on Oracle technologies per month by email. To join, visit http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article, or send email to Oracle-article-request_at_gennick.com and include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body. Received on Wed Dec 17 2003 - 21:00:39 CST