Re: ADO/Oracle connection problems in ONames environment

From: Ken Allhands <kallhands_at_redskytech.com>
Date: 16 Dec 2003 04:53:36 -0800

Hello Sybrand,

    Here is the sqlnet.ora from the client machine...

# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: D:\oracle\ora92\NETWORK\ADMIN\sqlnet.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools. NAMES.INITIAL_RETRY_TIMEOUT = 30
TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT = c:\temp
LOG_FILE_CLIENT = sqlnet
NAMES.PREFERRED_SERVERS =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = RSTTST1)(PORT = 1575))   )
LOG_DIRECTORY_CLIENT = c:\temp
NAMESCTL.NOCONFIRM = TRUE
TRACE_FILE_CLIENT = sqlnet
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = SUPPORT

#NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (ONAMES)
#NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = world
#SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)

NAMES.REQUEST_RETRIES = 2
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 30
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (ONAMES)
BEQUEATH_DETACH = YES
NAMES.MAX_OPEN_CONNECTIONS = 10
...here is names.ora..

7:57 AM 12/16/2003# NAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: D:\oracle\ora92\NETWORK\ADMIN\names.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools. NAMES.SERVER_NAME = RSTTST1.REDSKYTECH.COM NAMES.ADDRESSES =
  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = rsttst1)(PORT = 1575)) #----ADDED BY names 12-DEC-2003 15:02:42---

names.log_file = names.log
names.trace_file = names_1432.trc
names.trace_level = 0
names.domains = (DOMAIN_LIST=(DOMAIN=(NAME=)(MIN_TTL=86400)))
#------------------------------------------

...the lines that really confuse me from the trace are as
follows...

niqname: Using nnfsn2a() to build connect descriptor for (possibly remote) database.

...If the esixting database ID info is to be cached, why is the
second connection not sure that the database is remote?

nncpsrq_send_request: attempt 1,
name server with metric 0 at
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=RSTTST1)(PORT=1575)) (connection was open)...

...Why the second attempt to contact the names server? This does
not show up in activity for second connecton when not using ADO/MSDAORA to instantiate the connection.

nncpsrq_send_request: name server timeout, no response in 2000 csecs

...average response time from the Names server on initial
connection (or all connections from SQLPLUS instances) is in the single-milisecond range.

Thanks again for your time and your help. Ken Allhands