import data from text file; update existing rows; no delete

From: kaeli <tiny_one_at_NOSPAM.comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:18:05 -0600

Hi all,

I have a production DB and a test DB. The test DB has a few minor table changes like new views, constraint changes, and such, but has old, snapshot data. I want to import the real-time data from the production DB into the test DB for testing purposes.

I can easily dump the data as text from the production DB and use sqlldr to load new data, but duplicate rows are either errors or ignored, depending on settings. I want the duplicates to be updated with the new data. I cannot use the replace in sqlldr because it cascades many constraints and I don't want to update all my tables, just 2. There are too many tables to go through the hassle of removing the data from all of them and importing it all.

Does anyone know of a way to use either the Oracle import utility or sqlldr to import and replace data (without deletion that cascades constraints) from either an export file or a text file?

I do not want to import/replace structure, constraints, sequences, etc. Only the row data.

Thanks!

~kaeli~
Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill millions and you
are a conqueror. Kill everyone and you are God.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace