Re: Perfomance with Partitioning

From: Can <no_at_spam.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:39:57 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for your response ;o)

> You can define a partition 52 right now. That's in the future.

I see...that is to say, I'd now have to define 52 partitions (I guess I'll write a script creating the query, otherwise I'll be sitting here an hour writing it).

> There are some traps re partitioning - make sure you pick
> the right method of partitioning, or you cannot add partitions
> later (unless you rebuild the table)

Alright, I'll take that into account...

> BTW - wouldn't an index help? You problem suggests FTS are performed
> while only retrieving a small portion of the table.

Well, there are a bunch of indexes on that table, and truth to tell, the query in question takes about 1.5 seconds but still: it used to take 0.2 seconds 2 months ago. And the performance is perpetually decreasing as the table keeps growing (growing speed: approximately 1500 rows per day - growing speed is also turning faster).

> Version (and OS) info are missing.

oh right, the environment...
Windows XP - Orace 9.2.0.1

Thanks again ;o)