Re: How to restrict Oracle to my PC vs Internet

From: Moritzio <moritzio_m_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:11:26 -0500

Oracle 9i, version 2, Windows XP Pro Sp1

I start two oracle services only:
1. OracleOraHom92CRDBSAC (the database) 2. OracleOraHom92TNSListener

Using Zone Alarm and the Enterprise Manager Console, I find that:

  1. Oracle RDBMA Kernal Executable (oracle.exe) must be allowed to act as a server on the internet, or I cannot connect to the database via the Enterprise Manager Console. Instead, I get a ORA-12570 TNS:Packet reader failure.
  2. TNSLSNT.exe must be allowed to access the internet or I cannot connect to the database with Enterprise Manager Console. It does NOT have to act as a server.

My computer name is 3CG7501
I named the service CRDBSAC.CG7501 because the Database Configuration Wizard would not allow a domain name beginning with a number. There is no domain controller (peer network).

I have imported the following HOSTS file for the network connection: (using network connection-> properties->TCP/IP Properties->General tab->Advanced button->WINS Tab->Import LMHOSTS button)

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       CRDBSAC.3CG7501
127.0.0.1       3CG7501

The HOST parameters in tsnames.ora look correct: # TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

CRDBSAC =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 3CG7501)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = CRDBSAC.CG7501)

    )
  )

INST1_HTTP =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 3CG7501)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = SHARED)
(SERVICE_NAME = MODOSE)
(PRESENTATION = http://HRService)

    )
  )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)

    )
  )

CRDBSAC.CG7501 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 3CG7501)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = CRDBSAC)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)