Is is necessary to rollback after each select to release open cursors?

From: philb <philb_at_tei-on.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2003 07:25:23 -0800

Is is necessary to rollback after each select to release open cursors in Oracle? I've been seeing "too many open cursors" errors after doing selects and thought that the select may have left the cursor open? Does this happen or are they automatically tidied up by Oracle? Do I need to rollback to close them, and is rollback the best way of doing that?

BTW I'm using OCI on Oracle 9.2 and am the only user accessing the table at the time.

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but I can't find a an answer in the books I have, or on Google groups.

thanks, philb Received on Thu Dec 11 2003 - 09:25:23 CST