Re: Read BLOB data

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 10 Dec 2003 03:42:29 -0800

jhoug2_at_hotmail.com (Jon) wrote

> Am I limiting myself by using this function or is there another more
> versatile method I can use to convert this BLOB data into a
> human-readable format?

What is the client? How big are the blobs?

E.g. displaying a 2GB blob via a CGI or PL/SQL cartridge is not a bright idea. Client development software like Delphi/VB allows you to simply drop a blob display data control on the form and it in turns handle the blob conversion for you. In Delphi it is literally point and click to create a form that displays blob text or blob images.

How to handle blobs for human consumption thus depends on various factors. And no, SQL*Plus is not what I would call an end-user client app.. just in case.. ;-)

--
Billy