How to fix NLS_DATE_FORMAT setting?

From: Keith Sauvant <ne.ws.ksau_at_spamgourmet.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:53:30 +0100

Hi group,

I want Oracle (9i) to use one NLS_DATE_FORMAT setting for all sessions on one database. (How) can I achieve that?

My System:

Oracle 9i Server on Windows 2000 Server
Oracle 9i Client on Windows XP Professional CGI-PHP on Apache using OCI8 Library to talk to Oracle

What I tried:
1) I made a pfile from my spfile, added the NLS_DATE_FORMAT setting, converted it to a spfile, started the instance. I see the correct value in my instance configuration but it has no effect on my application 2) I tried setting the parameter in my application using "ALTER SESSION" command. Works but I do not like to do it this way. I am not quite sure when a db "session" ends using CGI-PHP...

Where can the setting be overruled using method 1)? Windows-Registry of Server? Windows-Registry of Client? Environment Variables? OCI8 Library defaults?

Any help would be appreciated.
Best regards from Aachen, Germany
Keith Received on Tue Dec 09 2003 - 04:53:30 CST