Re: Date function that leaves only the time?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:06:20 -0800

Turkbear wrote:

> Mark.Wright_at_bristol.ac.uk wrote:
>

>>I'm looking for a function that is essectially the opposite of
>>TRUNC(). I.e., I have full date-time fields, but I only care about the
>>time. If I select TRUNC(column) I can get only records on a date, but I
>>want only records in a time-range (e.g. 5pm-6pm), regardless of date. How
>>can I do this easily?
>>Cheers,
>>Mark

> Look at the TO_CHAR function's date format masks in the docs..
>
> Hint('HH24:MI:SS')

This brings up an interesting question. If I perform the following query:

  SQL> select argument_name, data_type
   2 from all_arguments
   3 where object_name = 'TO_TIME';

ARGUMENT_NAME                  DATA_TYPE
------------------------------ -------------------
                                TIME
RIGHT                          VARCHAR2
                                TIME
LEFT                           VARCHAR2
FORMAT                         VARCHAR2
PARMS                          VARCHAR2
                                TIME
LEFT                           VARCHAR2
FORMAT                         VARCHAR2
                                TIME
RIGHT                          TIME WITH TIME ZONE

I get something that seems to be undocumented at tahiti.oracle.com.

Does anyone have an example of using this?

Thanks.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu