Re: Table Fermentation

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2003 17:20:43 -0800

rc@!(no-spam)!@!bhfshops.org.uk wrote in message news:<3fd0770c.863429005_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
> Hi
>
> I have a table space with about 63 tables in it. Most of the tables
> are less than 100k rows.
>
> If I wanted to defrag the tablespace, can I export and import one
> table at a time or do I have to export all the tables in one go and
> import back in again

Depends if there is enough contiguous space in there. Best is to use Locally Managed Tablespaces and not worry so much about it. If that term is new to you, google comp.databases.oracle.server for LMT.

What method are you using to determine if the defragging is needed?

If you do all of them, they will be nice and neat next to each other - until you start adding rows. Depedning on a number of factors, this might not be an issue at all. It is possible that you can reduce performance for certain situations, because PCTFREE might leave free space in blocks that formerly had been fully packed.

> I do not want to use the compress=y option

That's generally a good idea, unless you have a really old version and know what you are doing. You should always post your version and platform.

> Are there additional command I have to issue re the table_space ?
>
> Thanks

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.