Newbie Question on Schema Design

From: Ravi <rg27_at_cse.buffalo.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 11:02:08 -0500

I want to create a table which will enable me to query what file(s) a user provided name appears in. For this I want to create a table having an attribute (varchar(25)) for the name and a few other attributes for some additional information about the name (say part of speech, designation, etc). Most importantly I need an entry (column or attribute) which is essentially a linked list of filename(s) which will list all the files that the name (which is the primary index) occurs in. I intend to use Pro* C/C++ precompiler with a C++ program to generate the data and populate the tables but my question is how can I implement a linked list as an attribute of the table. I can define the linked list class with the methods, etc in C++ but how can I get Oracle to recognize this class. Also assuming it is somehow done I could do

select *
from wordtable
where name like '%soft';

would lead to the selection of all rows (complete with file names info) with words ending in soft. how would the sql know how to display the linked list i mean i could write a method for traversal but how would sql know how to use it.

I am sorry if my questions seem vague. i am just getting started and this seemed a good way of designing the schema though i don't know yet how to implement it. any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi. Received on Fri Dec 05 2003 - 10:02:08 CST