Re: PLSQL: how to test if a table exists?

From: jhking <jhking_at_airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:45:53 -0600

That having been said I worked recently in a poor man's data warehouse environment where I was gathering data from several dblinks to remote sites with 300-odd nearly identical tables. Using a data-driven, execute immediate style approach was the only way to get the data gathering part done in a reasonable amount of development time. If I spent a year hand-coding for each special case would it be more economical of database resources, sure. Would that have met the customer's need for aggregated data ASAP, nope. That being said some of the tables will wind up with custom code but only as needed when the performance issues noted below bite.