Oracle 9i XML schema-modification question

From: John <rjg96_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Dec 2003 14:59:55 -0800

So, I've read in Oracle's documentatino for 9iR2 that if you want to store schema based XML documents in Oracle, you first have to register the schema. The problem is that if you want to modify the schema, and then subsequently re-register it Oracle will force you to drop the existing schema and delete all of the objects/tables/data associated with it. Ok, fair enough, I can see how it would be hard to support the ability to make any change to an XML schema and have Oracle automagically mirgate the data to the new format.

But what if I just want to make relatively simple changes-- like adding an additional text attribute to the schema? Could I "get around" this limitation by manually doing an alter type on the underlying objects and then changing then carefully updating Oracle's copy of the schema to be in synch w/ this new underlying attribute (but not re-registering the schema)? I can't think of why not-- but what are your thoughts on this? Received on Thu Dec 04 2003 - 16:59:55 CST