Re: Using occi9 dll with Borland CBuilder

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 07:50:20 +0000

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:13:31 +0100, akush wrote:

> Hi!
>
> i want to use the oracle c++ call interface with the borland cbuilder.
> what i have to make that the occi9.dll library runs under cbuilder?
>
> thx
>
> akush

Here's something from my notes, and I think it is archived in Google Groups as well :o)

Oracle dropped support for Borland compilers with the introduction of Oracle 8i. As the oci.dll supplied by Oracle is still in C format rather then C++ format, we can use some of the Borland tools to build an oci.lib file which is compatible with Borland Compilers.

Open a command window and change to the folder <ORACLE_HOME>\oci\lib. <ORACLE_HOME> is the location where you have installed Oracle, in my case it is C:\oracle\ora92.

Create a new folder named Borland and cd into it.

The next step assumes that the Borland tools are in a folder which is named in the PATH environment variable. If not, you will have to specify the full pathname for the implib tool.

Type the command 'implib -a oci.lib <ORACLE_HOME>\bin\oci.dll'

This creates an import library named oci.lib in the current folder (<ORACLE_HOME>\oci\lib\Borland) and you can now use that library file to compile and run OCI applications.

Now, to build OCI apps, set the environment options in C++ Builder to add the path to the new folder you just created. This means that it will be applied to all new projects. Any existing projects that need OCI will have to have it added to the LIB path in the project options.

Finally, for all projects (old and new) you simply add the oci.lib file to the project.

Easy peasy.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.