Re: Oracle Index Question

From: mcstock <_at_>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 07:48:28 -0500

"no-spam !@!bhfshops.org.uk" <rc@> wrote in message news:3fcdd79f.691549044_at_news.demon.co.uk...
| Hi
|
| I am new to Oracle. We have a Oracle 8i running on Solaris 8 (Sparc)
| Any way I have a question re indexes...
|
| we have this scenario
| table1.col1, table1.col2 and table2.col1
|
| the common field between the two tables is col1...
|
| When running queries I cannot use inner or outer joins or use oracle
| hints because I have no control over the application that generates
| the query.
|
| Is there any kind of index I can apply to table1.col1, table1.col2 and
| table2.col1 that will spead up my queries.
|
| Some thing like a foregin key index etc.. but I donot know.
| If any one can make any suggestion ?
|
| Thanks

depending on the actual query and data distribution, indexing on the FK could help -- but can't tell without more information.

can you give an example of a query, and perhaps the execution plan? are other columns referenced in the WHERE clause?

also, does the application have:

[_] primary keys declared (with the associated indexes)?
[_] up-to-date statistics?
[_] optimizer mode set to CHOOSE or COST?

also, knowing the database version would help give an appropriate response

--
Mark C. Stock
www.enquery.com training & consulting