Re: Help connecting Oracle Forms/Reports

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 04:40:16 GMT

TheMinbari wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I have Oracle 8i running on Win2k Server in database name MYORACLE under ORA81.
>
> When I installed Oracle Forms, I had to put it under another oracle home
> because it wouldn't let me use ORA81. I called the new home ORARPT. Now, when
> creating a form, what do I enter as the database name ? It isn't recognizing
> MYORACLE.
>
> Thanks

Think of it this way - each Oracle Home has it's own SQL*Net (Net8, Oracle Networking, whatever).

The SQL*Net attached to ORA81 knows how to listen to Oracle requests (because of the listener.ora) AND knows how to find database services (because of tnsnames.ora) that are found in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

When you installed the new Oracle Home, did you anywhere tell it where to find a database service? (By updating the tnsnames.ora or using a program to update the file?)

Many of us resolve this simply by copying the good (working) tnsnames.ora into the new ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory. (AFTER making backups, in case too many beer have us copying in the wrong direction!)

You may also want to dig into the Networking docco that comes with the database for a bit more info as well. Received on Mon Dec 01 2003 - 22:40:16 CST